Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hotel Stay In Athens?

Like i mentioned in my earlier question, I will be in Athens from the 11NOV-16NOV. My company has currently booked me at the Sofitel Hotel (Airport) for about Euros130 per nite. Although I have read it is a 5* Hotel, I personally dun think I would have much fun staying out there. I'm a very outgoing person and enjoy night outs, drinking and dining. Do you think I should ask them to change my Hotel to somewhere in Syntagma, Omonia Square or Thissio?


P.S. - I havta travel to the Airport daily on work from bout 1100 - 1700. Can i avail of the Euros10 pass that entitles me to unlimited travel for a week and is it valid on both, the Bus as well as the Metro? Thanks guys in advance for your much awaited replies.Hotel Stay In Athens?
I've stayed many times in the Philippos Hotel on Mitzeon Street just down from the Acropolis.





Its rated as a 3 star and is used by British Airways, so you know the quality is good but it is not expensive - certainly cheaper than your 5 star Sofitel.





I like it very much because, now many of the roads around the Acropolis have been pedestrianised, it does not suffer from much traffic noise (so you can actually get a decent night's sleep, important if you're working) but it is very close walking distance to the Acropolis, Plaka, Omonia, Syntagma and is well served by the new Metro. (see link 1)





Speaking of which, this provide you with one of the best ways of getting from the city to the airport and back, although a 48-hour return costs 鈧?0.00. You might be better off using the airport bus which runs to Syntagma at a price of 鈧?.20 each way. (see link 2)





I'm not sure that your pass will cover you all the way out to the airport, but the Athens Urban Transport Organisation (OAZA) will be able to inform you (see link 3).





Enjoy your time over there !Hotel Stay In Athens?
I am not sure about the bus passes, but I would recommend a hotel closer to the Olympic stadium. There are many fine restaurants, bakeries, parks and stores for shopping, all within walking distance. ';Divinia'; Hotel comes to mind. Try and get a room on a top floor to overlook the city at night so you can see the Acropolis all lit up. Don't forget to check out the Agora, the marketplace. It is a bit ';touristy,'; but lots of fun. Before taking a cab to any destination, ask how much. They must tell you -- by law. Watch the crazy traffic! Kalo taxidi (safe travel).
You could stay at my place!!! (just kidding) but you could visit my place... You got my number right??? 6995392096
Sofitel Hotel is a really nice hotel but it is away from the city and entertainment.





Yes, you can use the 10euros ticket on both buses and metro.





In Syntagma Square, Monastiraki and Psirri are a lot of 5* hotels.


Avoid Omonia, it's not that a good district.





If you need a hotel list click there:


http://www.bookings.net/searchresults.en鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment